‘The Green Tiger’ is a tribute to the Royal Leicestershire Regiment and an online museum, containing documents, photographs, personal stories and artefacts relating to the 280-year history of ‘The Tigers’. It takes its name from the regimental journal of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment, and among its pages are recorded just a few examples of the heroism and self sacrifice of men who have been proud to wear the tiger badge in its many guises.
The Royal Leicestershire Regiment (17th Regiment of Foot) was raised by Colonel Solomon Richards in 1688. For more than 250 years it served the British Crown faithfully upon every continent and in every major conflict.
In 1946, in recognition of its service in every theatre of action during the Second World War, the regiment was officially granted the title ‘Royal Leicestershire’ by His Majesty King George VI.
In 1964 the regiment ceased to exist, upon amalgamation with the East Anglian Regiment to form the Royal Anglian Regiment.